Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Italian Chili

This was fantastic! Seriously, I loved it so much that I could not stop at tasting (for quality control purposes of course) and finally just got out a bowl and ate dinner at 4:30pm. The downsides are that it is not very green (organic Italian sausage would be hard to find in most smaller cities and towns I think) and it is a wee bit spicy for kids (just right for adults though).

Italian Chili
adapted from a Woman's Day recipe

12oz Italian sausage
*I was able to get ground at Gerbes but if you have to use links, remove casing*
1c chopped onion
1c chopped anaheim peppers (don't forget to wash your hands after chopping!)
*the recipe calls for cubanelle peppers but anaheim are more readily available, Banana peppers would work as well and would make this recipe less spicy*
1Tbsp chili powder
*the recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 tbsp but using only one will bring the spice level down*
1/4tsp salt
1/4tsp basil
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes in puree
1 can cannelli beans, rinsed

Cover bottom of saucepan in olive oil and heat until warmed through. Add sausage, onion, and peppers. Cook until meat is browned, breaking up chunks with a spoon. Add spices and salt and cook for a minute or two more. Add tomatoes and beans and turn heat down low. Simmer for thirty minutes or so.

Great additions to this one pot meal would be garlic bread and a salad.

Cost factor: A
@$1.57 per serving, serves four
beans: $0.74
tomatoes: $1.25
meat: $2.99
onion $0.30
peppers: $0.66
spices: $0.35
I would add another $2-$3 to the cost to use organic tomatoes and beans, two foods I usually buy conventional versions of. You could bring the cost per serving down by using dried beans.

Freezing factor: A+
Reheating factor: A+

Sorry, no link to the original recipe. I couldn't find it on their website. It is from the April 14th, 2009 edition.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have Italian Sausage languishing in the back of my freezer, I think I'll this to the list to make next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I made it on Monday and it did not disappoint! Thanks for a great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete